Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Detergent...I mean Divergent!

Before your passion rises and you want to put me in my place, dear reader, rest assured that I am a Divergent lover.

Then why are you calling it detergent?

Like most normal families I too have super, annoying siblings (who will be termed "ze sibs" from here on out) and they were constantly after me to read this series.

They continuously raved about it, made jokes in reference to it, and pledged their immense loyalty to the Divergent fandom (of which I am now currently the president. We meet every Thursday at 4:00 pm. Admission fees is a box of chocolate chip cookies).  So, I started calling it detergent to get "ze sibs" off my back. But, after I finished reading it, I fell in love with what Roth had created.

Roth captured the one dilemma that every person faces, the constant need to be accepted and loved. The need to belong. Everyone is battling this fear, even adults. They just hide it really well.

It would be really odd if your mom came up to you, crying, and said, "She won't play with me. She says my career sucks!" So, what do we "grown ups" do? Easy. We hide our problems behind smiles and nonchalant shrugs.

Well, that's what I do and I'm an adult.

The teenagers, in this case, are much cooler. They are not afraid to express their fears of not being accepted or belonging to a group, a class, a lunch table or, in some cases, the bathroom.

You know what I'm talking about, right? You only go to the bathroom with a certain group of people, anyone outside that group is "so NOT invited."

I don't need you, Chelsea! I have a blog now!

Where was I? Oh yes, belonging. Roth showed the power of belonging. We all long to be an important, vital, part of something. And not just belong there for the sake of belonging, but to feel like you belong there.

When you know that you are good at something or that you can perform a task well, you give it the extra mile and you come out shinning, which is what Tris discovered, which is what you can discover, dear reader, if you constantly try to find that part of your life. The part where you truly belong.

Where do I belong? Right here, behind this computer screen and here is where I feel important and strong. and, can I tell you a secret, dear reader?

I feel like I am excelling!

So, thank you , Veronica Roth, for teaching me two powerful lessons:

a) It's worth finding out where you belong.
b) We're going to have to increase the admission fees to TWO boxes of chocolate chip cookies.

iSheeza

No comments:

Post a Comment