Monday, April 28, 2014

What does the FOX say?!



The minute I saw this random picture on Google, I immediately broke out into the highly popular song, "What does the fox say?!"

I'm sure me and my thousands of followers are wondering the exact same thing: How did a song like this become popular?

For the very same reason Rebecca Black is popular (Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday!).

Brace yourself, dear reader, because I'm about to embark on a highly complicated journey of words and wisdom.

I've been preparing for this blog the entire week by observing people throughout the city: in the streets, in the mall, at parties, at school and even on the TTC and before I go any further I'd like to apologize for scaring the drunk, homeless man I met on the bus by asking him, "What does the fox say?"

After careful observation, and several restraining orders, I've come to the conclusion that no one really cares what the fox says. We all want to be the rabbits. We all want to blend within one another with minimal visible differences. We all want the same long, white ears, the thin and strokable whiskers, and, most importantly, we all want the white fur that allows us the comfort of blending.

The only differentiation that we allow ourselves to have are minuscule ones like glasses, eyebrows, and maybe a small beauty mark (which we later decide to cover up with foundation).

The reality is, dear reader, that we are afraid to stand out, afraid to adapt an identity that defines us for who we really are. Sure, it's easy to say and be all this when you're famous and well known because of the support you get from your fans all around the world and, of course, the hate mail! Can't forget the hate mail (I live for hate mail, which reminds me, where's mine?). But when you are a nobody, when you're just another co-worker, or a student, or a fellow TTCer, how do you muster up the courage to be who you really want to be?

How do you allow yourself to become the highly stylish and confident fox standing amidst the sea of rabbits? How do you have the courage to ignore the looks given to you, to rid yourself of the brainwash that has been embedded in you since day one? How do you say no to something that is a yes for all of the rabbits?

The truth is, dear reader, you can't. Not at first anyways, because no one wants to hear it. You do it gradually and slowly, like testing the waters before cannon-balling into it and that's where I am. I am dipping my toes, testing my water, bit by bit to see if I can cannon-ball into the world of writing and announce myself as a published author.

And I'm scared to the bone.

But, everyday I look at this picture and encourage myself to become the uber cool fox, who stands in a non-chalant way but is still scared inside because no one has asked her yet what it is that she wants to say.

And that's what I want for you, dear reader, to build your courage bit by bit and to stand like the foxy reader that you are in the blandness of white.

iSheeza








No comments:

Post a Comment