Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Fault in our Stars:the reason I studied Literature.


The Fault in our Stars has single-handedly answered the one question the brown community has for me.

"Why did you study English when you already know how to speak it?"

If I sat down and began explaining the cultural logic behind that question then you would all, dear readers (fingers crossed), have some piece of an anthropology degree in your pocket by the time I'm done with you.

Anyways, back to the topic, I read this novel en route to Ottawa and  I could not put this novel down. My fingers absolutely refused! The way Green had constructed this novel was beautiful. It showcased the reality of cancer rather than the romanticized image of the disease.

But that's not the big picture. The novel had references, not just any references, literary references. Let's all say it together again for emphasis, or just me, if I'm still the only one here.

Literary references.

Now, I'm giggling. Alone.

First off the title, it's a Shakespearean reference! And not from Romeo and Juliet ( not to hate on the romantics out there, especially me!) which was a breath of fresh air!

Then he goes onto mention names like Sylvia Plath and the second my brain comprehended that name I jumped in my seat. You wanna guess why?

Because I knew her. I knew that she was an author of a super depressing book I read for a class, if the low grades and tuition fees don't cut it for you, in which the main character plans to kills herself in excruciating detail. She's very creative, from swallowing 50 sleeping pills to planning her own kidnapping and death.

Spoiler Alert:  She survives and has a baby.

God help that child.

But I'm proud to know her. Why? Because she is mentioned in Green's novel and I knew her. I knew that depressing author.

And do you know how? Because I studied English Literature.

Then, Green mentions the play "Waiting for Godot," and I all but jump up screaming, "I love that play!"

Green knows me so well, dear reader, so well.

It's like we're the same, but different.

So, here it is brown community. All the uncles and aunties. The reason why I studied Literature is so that when John Green would write a novel with literary references I would know each and every one of them.

And also so I can read and understand the deeper tones of the novel, like how Green strips away the romanticized misconceptions we can formulate about subjects like cancer and our favourite authors and to ask questions like if stripping away the romanticized concepts was something Green was attempting then why did Hazel wants the perfect ending for An Imperial Affliction?

What do you say to that, uncles and aunties?




1 comment:

  1. I say uncles and aunties have chai and biscuit. And tell that engineer or doctor of yours it's your fault not you're.

    ReplyDelete