Monday, May 26, 2014

Damsel in Distress


Hello, dear reader, I hope your Monday is going for you as all Mondays go.

So, today's post is inspired by true events on a Toronto subway. Yes, dear reader, true events.

On Sunday afternoon I went out with my sisters to an event. We decided to take the subway on our way back. The subway was pretty empty when we all piled in it so, we made our self home.

When the subway stopped at a station, a drunk man walked in and my sister caught his eye. He spent the next 5 minutes saying things that I care not to repeat. The gist of it was, "not to let someone make you do something you don't want to do."

Despite being weirded out by the disturbing man in the subway my thoughts went to my blog. I realized I really wanted to use this situation to my advantage, thanks  sis!

His "gist" started making me think about the "damsel in distress" situation. About the fact how men feel the need to rescue women from certain situations and prove themselves as Prince Charming.

Now, don't get me wrong. I don't mind a little chivalry from a guy. It's an endearing trait for me, but what I do mind is the lack of confidence that women have for themselves.

I think that every woman has a potential that she needs to achieve. A potential that is supported and nurtured by the her talents. You, dear reader, as a woman, need to make something out of yourself. An identity, a career, a recognition that solely belongs to you. I'm working on mine, hoping that it will help me establish the identity I have been craving for!

What about you, dear reader?

Don't limit yourself to the image others conjure up for you. Find an image of yourself that you want.

Find it, create it and own it because at the end of the day, dear reader, the true appreciation of chivalry comes only after a woman understands her true worth.

isheeza


4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your thoughts. (You followed me on Twitter and I am exploring your blog.) Enjoying what i find :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment! And I'm glad it was worth the find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these random days, wherein I do something outside of what I'd normally do. Great story.

    ReplyDelete